Student safety is a major concern for parents and school staff. The school has procedures in place which address essential safety practices in the following areas:
- Travelling to and from school
- On school-approved excursions
- In class
- Inside the school facility and in the school play areas
The separate roles of students, parent, teaching and support staff in regard to student safety in each of these areas will be articulated.
The school’s ‘safe school’ procedures also deal with issues such as:
- The security of the school facility – physical security, surveillance cameras, alarm systems, firefighting equipment, etc.
- Security staff – selection, roles and performance evaluation
- Access to the facility – who can attend at the school, visitor procedures, school invasion responses
- Emergency procedures including evacuation and lock-down
- Bullying – the school will adopt a proactive anti-bullying strategy
- Integrity of staff – all staff are required to submit the results of a current criminal background check as a condition of employment and all staff are subject to a rigorous background check